If exercise is a core part of your lifestyle, make sure to include health and fitness gifts on your wedding registry. After all, this is 2019, and wedding gifts aren’t limited to china patterns and silver. Here, we’ve combined high-end fitness equipment with practical, everyday home appliances that every fitness-loving Houston newlywed household needs…and thrown in a couple of our favorite fitness accessories for good measure, to help you count your steps, up your reps and get your gains in style!
It’s Fitness Friday again, y’all, and this time we’re gonna make you sweat. Make that MARLA & SONNY are gonna make you sweat. The team from Houston’s Perfect Size Nutrition is back and it’s your back—and rear end and upper arms—that they’re targeting with this week’s workout video, geared toward getting you in shape for whichever strapless, backless, arm-baring, shoulder-showing wedding dress style you choose. Check it out…and work it out!
Happy Friday, brides…and welcome to part 2 of our Fitness Friday Series: The Busy Bride Workout—Sweating for the Wedding! Our newest video is all about getting a toned backside and sculpted arms that will look great in any style of dress you choose. We have featured our six favorite exercises that focus on getting you the results you are looking for in the shortest period of time. We recommend doing each of these exercises three times back-to-back, without stopping, and adding 30 to 45 minutes of cardiovascular activity like running, swimming or hitting the stair-climber to maximize results. For more tips, exercises and healthy recipes, visit our blog!
We at HWB are SO excited about our partnership with the lovely Marla and Sonny of Houston’s Perfect Size Nutrition for our newest bridal and nutrition and fitness series! Today marks the first installment of bimonthly Fitness Fridays, and darlings, it’s a tasty one. We welcome you to try any of these recipes (listed just below the video clip) any time, for a delicious, nutritious, craving-satisfying snack or meal (we mean it, gals…just try these out on your comfort-food-loving guy if you have any doubts!). And be sure to visit Perfect Size Nutrition’s blog for a complete list of recipes and directions. Take it away, Marla and Sonny!
If you need an example of friends getting together to overindulge and eat diet-busting foods, just look to the typical bridal shower or a bachelorette party. While gobbling high-fat, high-sodium, sugar-filled goodies seems like a good idea at the time, come Monday morning, the food hangover sets in and you wake up feeling hungry, tired and regretting those high-calorie munchies and drinks. So we are here to guide you and your shower hostess in the right direction. The recipes we have developed are meant to taste wonderful without undoing all your hard pre-bridal fitness work. You and your guests will love these healthy and cute alternatives!
Goddess Deviled Eggs
– 12 hard-boiled eggs
– Tony Chachere’s salt-free seasoning
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
– 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Place eggs into large pot. Add just enough water to cover eggs. Turn stove on high heat, bring to boil for 1 minute then reduce heat to medium-heat for a low boil for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Cover pot and let them simmer, off heat
- Remove eggs from pot and place in a separate bowl. Rinse with cold water. Keep them in cold water until completely cooled
- Once cooled, peel eggs
- Cut lengthwise. Scoop out yellow and place in bowl, set whites on a tray
- Mix yellows with the rest of the ingredients except for paprika
- With a spoon, scoop yolk mixture back into each egg white
- Sprinkle with paprika
Guacamole with homemade chips
Homemade baked tortilla chips:
– Corn tortillas
– Non-stick olive oil spray
– Seasonings of choice (we like a pinch of Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay out all corn tortillas from the package.
- Spray both sides of the corn tortillas with non-stick olive oil spray.
- Sprinkle favorite seasonings on top of tortillas (we love a pinch of Parmesan!).
- Stack about 8-10 tortillas on top of each other and using a knife, cut tortillas into 8.
- Place triangles on cookie sheet in single layer.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Make sure to check on them frequently to prevent from burning.
Homemade Guacamole Recipe:
– 4 ripe avocados
– Pinch of salt or to taste
– Pinch of pepper or to taste
– ½ medium tomato
– ¼ medium red onion
– ½ tsp garlic powder
– Juice of 1 lime
– 2 tbsp cilantro
- Scoop out avocados, add to large mixing bowl.
- With a fork or potato masher, mash avocados lightly for chunkier guacamole. For smooth guacamole, mix and mash well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to bowl and mix well.
- Serve with homemade baked tortilla chips.
Skinny Mini Pizzas
– Small round flat bread
– Pizza sauce or tomato sauce
– Mozzarella cheese
– Feta cheese
– Oregano or Italian seasoning
– Olive oil
– Torn arugula
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place flat bread on cookie sheet.
- With a spoon, add pizza sauce to each flat bread.
- Sprinkle each with ¼ tsp oregano.
- Add a few spinach leaves to each pizza.
- Sprinkle each pizza with mozzarella.
- Add a pinch of feta to each pizza.
- Sprinkle tops of pizzas with arugula.
- Drizzle a tsp of olive oil on each pizza.
- Bake at 450 for 15-25 minutes.
For more nutrition tips, food photos and pre-wedding fitness advice, visit Perfect Size Nutrition on Facebook!
Photo: Holly Hoyt Photography via Culture Map
When we came upon Houston bride Monica’s tale of how becoming engaged put her on the path to fitness and better health, we knew we had to share it with y’all. She’s just so honest and funny and practical and—just, you know, freakin’ cool—we figured we’d let her inspire those of you who are determined to get in great wedding shape. Her take on the choices we make will make you want to get started on your pre-wedding shape-up, rather than waiting ’til Monday. Or Tuesday. Or next month. Check out her story on Culture Map, then lace up them kicks and GO!
The sophisticated, super-chic, swag-filled I Do! Bridal Soiree at Hotel ZaZa is coming up in a little over six weeks—which is the perfect amount of time to get a jump on your bridal fitness and health regimen. And we want to help!! Buy your limited-availability I Do! @ ZaZa pre-sale tickets by midnight Sunday, Aug. 25 and you could win a Fitbit One Wireless Activity Tracker and Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi Smart Scale—a fantastic bridal fitness technology package worth $230!
How much do we love Fitbit? A ton. Because that’s how much weight (and more) Fitbit’s activity-tracking devices have collectively helped brides, grooms and regular folks lose since their much-lauded launch. Clip your Fitbit One to your sports bra, tank, belt or pocket during the day, and track your steps, distance traveled, calories burned and stairs climbed. Wear your Fitbit on your wrist at night to measure your sleep quality and learn how to sleep better and wake healthier. Then use your Aria smart scale to track your weight, body fat and BMI, and sync your stats with a custom online graph, to help you stay motivated and on track toward “I do!”
All brides who buy their tickets to Houston’s hottest bridal event by midnight Sunday are entered to win; winner announced Tuesday, Aug. 27 on Facebook. And remember, the I Do! Bridal Soiree at Hotel ZaZa WILL SELL OUT. It always does. Snag your tickets now while you can—and score a super-cool pre-wedding fitness package too.
Good luck…and get moving!