In honor of Valentine’s Day, and the week of romance surrounding it, we’ve got a special giveaway for y’all, and we think you’re gonna drink it up, darlings!! We’ve partnered with Bernhardt Winery, located in the picture-perfect Texas Hill Country, to put together an awesome prize for one Houston to-be-wed couple…and 18 of their lucky friends and family members. What’s that, you say? A prize for TWENTY PEOPLE?? Yup, you heard right. Read on for entry deets (it’s super easy to enter)! Click here to read the rest of this post »
Photos: Athena Gun Club & Social Sell
Athena, the Greek goddess of courage, wisdom, and law and justice, seems an apt namesake for Houston’s most sophisticated and woman-friendly shooting range. But Athena Gun Club is so much more than a place to practice one’s marksmanship skills or learn the finer points of handgun safety. Athena Gun Club, is in fact, one of THE coolest spots in town to gather your gals for an exhilarating, inspiring and totally one-of-a-kind bachelorette bash or bridesmaids’ night-out.
Kick off your pre-wedding celebration with a turn in Athena’s dynamic virtual simulator, sprinting through the faux battleground of your choice (Wild West? Sure! Zombies more your cup of tea? They’ve got those, too!). Progress to Athena’s state-of-the-art live fire range, for a high-tech shooting experience that will keep you all fired up, and keep your BFFs smiling BIG. Then relax and relive your tales of target glory over fresh, handcrafted cocktails and delicious bites.
Did we mention that Athena hosts bachelor bashes, rehearsal dinners and engagement parties, too? Now we did.
Grab your spouse-to-be and/or a couple of gun-loving besties (or interested novices), and check out Houston’s hottest gun club for yourself next Tuesday, Sept. 8th, from 6-8 p.m., when Athena hosts a Bridal Open House, including a private tour, 50% off range fees and awesome simulator demonstrations! RSVP here. See you THERE.
Photos: Straw Envy
Just in time for wedding season, a new beverage accessory company debuts a collection of sparkly sippers that are perfect for bridal party gifts or even bachelorette party. Straw Envy creates sparkly, reusable drinking straws that are not just straws but accessories for fashionable drinks! With a variety of dazzling colors and crystal embellishments, Straw Envy sippers are a classy way to stand out in a crowd during your bachelorette celebrations. At $29, they make a stylish gift that won’t break your budget!
We at HWB are SO excited about our partnership with the lovely Marla and Sonny of Houston’s Perfect Size Nutrition for our newest bridal and nutrition and fitness series! Today marks the first installment of bimonthly Fitness Fridays, and darlings, it’s a tasty one. We welcome you to try any of these recipes (listed just below the video clip) any time, for a delicious, nutritious, craving-satisfying snack or meal (we mean it, gals…just try these out on your comfort-food-loving guy if you have any doubts!). And be sure to visit Perfect Size Nutrition’s blog for a complete list of recipes and directions. Take it away, Marla and Sonny!
If you need an example of friends getting together to overindulge and eat diet-busting foods, just look to the typical bridal shower or a bachelorette party. While gobbling high-fat, high-sodium, sugar-filled goodies seems like a good idea at the time, come Monday morning, the food hangover sets in and you wake up feeling hungry, tired and regretting those high-calorie munchies and drinks. So we are here to guide you and your shower hostess in the right direction. The recipes we have developed are meant to taste wonderful without undoing all your hard pre-bridal fitness work. You and your guests will love these healthy and cute alternatives!
Goddess Deviled Eggs
– 12 hard-boiled eggs
– Tony Chachere’s salt-free seasoning
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
– 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Place eggs into large pot. Add just enough water to cover eggs. Turn stove on high heat, bring to boil for 1 minute then reduce heat to medium-heat for a low boil for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Cover pot and let them simmer, off heat
- Remove eggs from pot and place in a separate bowl. Rinse with cold water. Keep them in cold water until completely cooled
- Once cooled, peel eggs
- Cut lengthwise. Scoop out yellow and place in bowl, set whites on a tray
- Mix yellows with the rest of the ingredients except for paprika
- With a spoon, scoop yolk mixture back into each egg white
- Sprinkle with paprika
Guacamole with homemade chips
Homemade baked tortilla chips:
– Corn tortillas
– Non-stick olive oil spray
– Seasonings of choice (we like a pinch of Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay out all corn tortillas from the package.
- Spray both sides of the corn tortillas with non-stick olive oil spray.
- Sprinkle favorite seasonings on top of tortillas (we love a pinch of Parmesan!).
- Stack about 8-10 tortillas on top of each other and using a knife, cut tortillas into 8.
- Place triangles on cookie sheet in single layer.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Make sure to check on them frequently to prevent from burning.
Homemade Guacamole Recipe:
– 4 ripe avocados
– Pinch of salt or to taste
– Pinch of pepper or to taste
– ½ medium tomato
– ¼ medium red onion
– ½ tsp garlic powder
– Juice of 1 lime
– 2 tbsp cilantro
- Scoop out avocados, add to large mixing bowl.
- With a fork or potato masher, mash avocados lightly for chunkier guacamole. For smooth guacamole, mix and mash well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to bowl and mix well.
- Serve with homemade baked tortilla chips.
Skinny Mini Pizzas
– Small round flat bread
– Pizza sauce or tomato sauce
– Mozzarella cheese
– Feta cheese
– Oregano or Italian seasoning
– Olive oil
– Torn arugula
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place flat bread on cookie sheet.
- With a spoon, add pizza sauce to each flat bread.
- Sprinkle each with ¼ tsp oregano.
- Add a few spinach leaves to each pizza.
- Sprinkle each pizza with mozzarella.
- Add a pinch of feta to each pizza.
- Sprinkle tops of pizzas with arugula.
- Drizzle a tsp of olive oil on each pizza.
- Bake at 450 for 15-25 minutes.
For more nutrition tips, food photos and pre-wedding fitness advice, visit Perfect Size Nutrition on Facebook!