This week, as all of us take shelter from the unprecedented deluge of Hurricane Harvey, and take stock of everything that is dear and precious to us, we will be sharing some of our favorite weddings of the last few years. If you need an escape, a moment of peace, a reminder of the importance of family, friends and, above all, love, please settle in, snuggle down and join us. And once the storm clouds clear, and the water recedes, let us know what we can do to help you. We are all in this together. #BeStrongHouston #LoveConquersAll
Houston bride Rozlind wanted her wedding to be a fabulous party that still had a warm, inviting feeling. From the black and white decor, to the all-white flowers, and romantic candlelit ballroom at Hotel ZaZa, Rozlind and Matthew’s wedding was the definition of modern glam. If you think all of this sounds glamorous, just wait till you see Rozlind’s gorgeous Monique Lhuillier gown and Nicholas Kirkwood peep-toe lace heels! Thanks, Adam Nyholt, for the beautiful photos and congrats to the newlyweds!
Photos: Adam Nyholt, Photographer ~ Wedding Gown: Monique Lhuillier ~ Bride’s Shoes: Nicholas Kirkwood ~ Venue: Hotel ZaZa ~ Décor & Rentals: Plants n’ Petals ~ Invitations: Bering’s ~ Registry: Kuhl-Linscomb
Writer: Laura Mericas
To help you avoid “random registry” regrets, we’ve identified four types of to-be-weds and we’ve hand-picked wedding gift registry items for each that you probably didn’t know you could register for…or live without! Not sure what type you are? Take our handy quiz! And for tons more details on hot registry picks from the experts at iconic Houston registry retailers Bering’s and Kuhl-Linscomb, click here!
What’s your wedding style?
1. Rustic and romantic with tons of personal elements
2. Chic and trendy with food and drinks galore
3. Dreamy destination with our closest family and friends
4. Classic and formal in one of Houston’s signature wedding venues
What are your honeymoon goals?
1. Nothing too crazy, we just want to relax with each other
2. To explore a new city and hit up all of the coolest spots
3. Something a little extreme, like backpacking through Bali or whitewater rafting
4. Lounging and indulging at an elegant beach resort
Which of these sounds like your ideal Saturday morning?
1. Sipping coffee with my fiancé at my side and our dog at our feet
2. Brunching in style with bae
3. Exploring a new city or hiking trail
4. Perusing an antiques market or visiting with family
What’s your favorite type of Houston restaurant?
1. A mom-and-pop Houston classic
2. The chic new eatery with locally sourced ingredients and craft cocktails
3. Authentic ethnic cuisine that only the neighborhood locals know about
4. Fine dining with romantic lighting and top-notch service
Which of these is a must-have item in your married home?
1. Cute and comfortable living room furniture
2. A modern kitchen and dining space
3. A place to rest our heads at night…that’s all we need
4. Family photos in beautiful frames
Answered Mostly 1: You’re a House Hunter! — You and your partner love the staples in your life almost as much as you love each other. A new shared home tops your list of priorities, and you can’t wait to make it a warm, inviting environment.
1. Quilted Velvet Lumbar Pillows: Pottery Barn 2. Halo Home Monogrammed Linens: Kuhl-Linscomb 3. Sierra Rug: The Citizenry 4. Large Mobile Chandelier: West Elm 5. Edmond Sofa: Z Gallerie 6. Palermo Chair: The Citizenry
Answered Mostly 2: You’re a Foodie! — Testing out the newest eateries and drinkeries in town is what you and your bae are all about. You two follow food blogs, are familiar with top local chefs and aren’t afraid to experiment. You and your wedding caterer are BFF’s and you can’t wait to dig in at your reception.
1. All-Clad Brushed Stainless Sauce Pan: Bering’s 2. Instant Pot Pressure Cooker: Amazon 3. Sur La Table Copper Moscow Mule Mug Set: Sur La Table 4. “Cravings” by Chrissy Teigen: Amazon 5. Sertodo Copper Alicante Paella Pan: Kuhl-Linscomb 6. Big Green Egg Grill: Bering’s 7. Vitamix Ascent Series Blender: Kuhl-Linscomb
Answered Mostly 3: You’re an Adventurer! — The biggest challenge of planning your wedding was finding a date when you’re not traveling! Houston is home base, but you’re eager to explore every chance you get. You’ve either selected the perfect destination wedding spot, planned an exotic honeymoon, or both.
1. S’well Teakwood Water Bottle: Kuhl-Linscomb 2. Insulated Picnic Backpack: Mark & Graham 3. White Wing Duffle Bag: Bering’s 4. This is Ground Cordito Roll: Restoration Hardware 5. Audio Pro Portable Speaker: Kuhl-Linscomb 6. Yeti Tundra Cooler: Bering’s
Answered Mostly 4: You’re an Heirloom-er! — Family is everything to you. The keeping of traditions is paramount and you’ve already selected your future children’s names, which all pay homage to your closest relatives. You have a love for traditional, well-made goods, but you also know how to add in your own personal touch.
1. Juliska Country Estate Ginger Jar: Bering’s 2. Santorini Glass, Turks & Caicos Canape Plate: White Lilac Inc. 3. William Yeoward Corinne Cocktail Jug & Spoon: Kuhl-Linscomb 4. Vista Alegre Covered Dish: Alchemy Fine Home 5. Arte Italica Tuscan Oval Tray with Handles: Kuhl-Linscomb
It was love at first sight when Rikki saw Boris dressed up as a mustard bottle (yes, a mustard bottle) on Halloween at a college frat party. She asked their mutual friend to set them up, but unfortunately it didn’t work out…until the pair connected again during their first week of senior year.
On a perfectly ordinary afternoon, after Rikki returned from a friend’s bridal shower, a surprise proposal awaited her. “Boris and I had planned on going for a walk on the beach when I got home. Once I opened the door of our apartment, I knew something was up. There were flower petals on the ground, flowers from my favorite flower shop all over, candles, and pictures of us from the past four years all over the walls,” recounts Rikki. “I found Boris waiting for me on our balcony on one knee, and he asked for my hand in marriage with the most beautiful ring!”
“I felt like Cinderella in my Mira Zwillinger dress from Joan Pillow Bridal Salon,” says Rikki.
“Our wedding felt like a dream! So many of our closest friends traveled from all over the U.S. to celebrate with us,” adds Rikki.
The ballroom had a very romantic, elegant feel with white, blush and pink flowers accented with soft candlelight.
The night ended with ice cream sandwiches from Smoosh Cookies’ truck for everyone to enjoy.
“Our parents went above and beyond and gave us a wedding weekend we will never forget,” says Rikki. Thanks, Adam Nyholt, for the beautiful photos!
After spending their first date in a yoga class, Keri and Michael decided to take their next outing to get to know each other better while strolling through Houston’s Buffalo Bayou Park. A date well spent, and a gorgeous Houston sunset later, the fitness-and-outdoors lovers decided to meet again… the very next day. Little did they know that Houston’s natural beauty would play into every major milestone they celebrated next.