With the craziness of wedding planning, shopping for your pre-wedding celebration attire often become a last-minute mad dash to find something festive. Don’t give your bridal shower look short shrift… often, that’s where the best memories are made! Whether the celebration is a girls-only canapes-and-bubbly soiree at a charming chateau, a swanky downtown hotel bar welcome party, or a rehearsal dinner at a top Houston restaurant, here are three fail-safe bridal shower and pre-wedding party outfit ideas for 2019.
Sup on a lobster bisque. Savor a mimosa. It’s time for a pre-wedding bridesmaids’ lunch with your fave ladies! These five Houston hotspots will take care of you, and your crew, with fine food and drink, and flawless service.
The Cordúa name is synonymous with bold Latin American flavors and warm hospitality—both of which are on delicious display at Américas and Churrascos, father-and-son team Michael and David Cordúa’s esteemed Houston eateries. Click here to read the rest of this post »
We at HWB are SO excited about our partnership with the lovely Marla and Sonny of Houston’s Perfect Size Nutrition for our newest bridal and nutrition and fitness series! Today marks the first installment of bimonthly Fitness Fridays, and darlings, it’s a tasty one. We welcome you to try any of these recipes (listed just below the video clip) any time, for a delicious, nutritious, craving-satisfying snack or meal (we mean it, gals…just try these out on your comfort-food-loving guy if you have any doubts!). And be sure to visit Perfect Size Nutrition’s blog for a complete list of recipes and directions. Take it away, Marla and Sonny!
If you need an example of friends getting together to overindulge and eat diet-busting foods, just look to the typical bridal shower or a bachelorette party. While gobbling high-fat, high-sodium, sugar-filled goodies seems like a good idea at the time, come Monday morning, the food hangover sets in and you wake up feeling hungry, tired and regretting those high-calorie munchies and drinks. So we are here to guide you and your shower hostess in the right direction. The recipes we have developed are meant to taste wonderful without undoing all your hard pre-bridal fitness work. You and your guests will love these healthy and cute alternatives!
Goddess Deviled Eggs
– 12 hard-boiled eggs
– Tony Chachere’s salt-free seasoning
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
– 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Place eggs into large pot. Add just enough water to cover eggs. Turn stove on high heat, bring to boil for 1 minute then reduce heat to medium-heat for a low boil for 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Cover pot and let them simmer, off heat
- Remove eggs from pot and place in a separate bowl. Rinse with cold water. Keep them in cold water until completely cooled
- Once cooled, peel eggs
- Cut lengthwise. Scoop out yellow and place in bowl, set whites on a tray
- Mix yellows with the rest of the ingredients except for paprika
- With a spoon, scoop yolk mixture back into each egg white
- Sprinkle with paprika
Guacamole with homemade chips
Homemade baked tortilla chips:
– Corn tortillas
– Non-stick olive oil spray
– Seasonings of choice (we like a pinch of Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay out all corn tortillas from the package.
- Spray both sides of the corn tortillas with non-stick olive oil spray.
- Sprinkle favorite seasonings on top of tortillas (we love a pinch of Parmesan!).
- Stack about 8-10 tortillas on top of each other and using a knife, cut tortillas into 8.
- Place triangles on cookie sheet in single layer.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Make sure to check on them frequently to prevent from burning.
Homemade Guacamole Recipe:
– 4 ripe avocados
– Pinch of salt or to taste
– Pinch of pepper or to taste
– ½ medium tomato
– ¼ medium red onion
– ½ tsp garlic powder
– Juice of 1 lime
– 2 tbsp cilantro
- Scoop out avocados, add to large mixing bowl.
- With a fork or potato masher, mash avocados lightly for chunkier guacamole. For smooth guacamole, mix and mash well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to bowl and mix well.
- Serve with homemade baked tortilla chips.
Skinny Mini Pizzas
– Small round flat bread
– Pizza sauce or tomato sauce
– Mozzarella cheese
– Feta cheese
– Oregano or Italian seasoning
– Olive oil
– Torn arugula
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place flat bread on cookie sheet.
- With a spoon, add pizza sauce to each flat bread.
- Sprinkle each with ¼ tsp oregano.
- Add a few spinach leaves to each pizza.
- Sprinkle each pizza with mozzarella.
- Add a pinch of feta to each pizza.
- Sprinkle tops of pizzas with arugula.
- Drizzle a tsp of olive oil on each pizza.
- Bake at 450 for 15-25 minutes.
For more nutrition tips, food photos and pre-wedding fitness advice, visit Perfect Size Nutrition on Facebook!
We are positively giddy with delight to have the superbly stylish Rebekah Gullo of fave Houston style blog Fashion And A Fellow guest posting on HWB today. You may remember Rebekah from our recent post on her absolutely splendid wedding to the handsome “fellow” of FAAF fame. If you’re not already following her great blog, you really should start. Like NOW. Meanwhile, enjoy her tips and fashion/accessory picks for dressing to impress on the pre-wedding party circuit! And make sure to jump over to FAAF (and follow her on Twitter) for plenty more awesome style advice and general loveliness.
Take it away, Rebekah!
“Three of the biggest parties you’ll likely attend during your wedding preparation are engagement parties, wedding showers, and your rehearsal dinner. With the fall and winter wedding season quickly approaching, I created a couple of outfit choices to fit each of your wedding occasion needs, and made each outfit wearable whether it is a warmer or cooler day…because you never know in Houston!”
“This party can be a ‘girls-only’ event, or can include your soon-to-be-husband, and other guys. Either way, I like to keep it classy and sophisticated with a peplum dress, or a blouse and shorts with a tweed jacket.”
“To me, this party is filled with flowers, delicate desserts and maybe a mimosa…or two! I chose a bright printed dress and added a studded belt for a little edge. I love a delicate dress with a surprisingly stronger piece, like a belt or a statement necklace.”
“This event is a time to reflect over the past months and look forward to the days ahead. You are almost a BRIDE. Choose a piece with shades close to white, like pink or yellow, or mix in a white piece with another color. I chose one with metallic flecks that glittered in the light.”
“Remember: You’re the bride, you can do whatever you want. There are no rules. This is your time to shine and make the most of it!”
Photos: Courtesy of Rebekah Gullo