Whether you choose a regal updo, a side-swept bun, long and loose waves, or a chic braid, pick a hairstyle that complements your gown’s neckline. Then complete your look with makeup that plays up your best features, both in photos and IRL! Be ready for your wedding close-up with one of these top bridal hair and makeup stylists. Click here to read the rest of this post »
Makeup for a bride’s big day is a vital part of the prep, and nailing the look she wants comes down to a good base. A good foundation will give you a flawless finish and last through all the photos, stress and celebration. Yet despite the plethora of makeup brands available, it can be frustrating to find your match without mixing since many brands offer only 10-15 shades. What about those of us who fall outside this spectrum or in between these shades? No one wants to look back at wedding photos and realize your face doesn’t quite match the rest of you. With these brands’ wide foundation shade range, you can be sure to find your match, for a stunning bridal glow. Click here to read the rest of this post »
Whether you’re packing your own bridal bag (aka the wedding-day emergency kit) or having your MOH get one ready for you, you’ll want to make sure not to leave out a single wedding-day essential! You can go ahead and start getting your bridal must-haves ready a month before the big day, using our handy list of 10 wedding-day essentials as your guide:
- Snacks. You may not feel hungry with all the excitement surrounding you on your wedding day, but you’re going to need energy for this major celebration. Nuts or granola bars are a great source of protein, and will keep for months before your big day.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste. Buy a travel size of each to keep in your bag. You wouldn’t want to say your “I do” with anything less than fresh breath.
- A garment steamer. If you have a handheld one on hand you’re already winning! If not, get one. It’s an essential tool for smoothing out stubborn gown wrinkles, and can be used for last-minute clothing touch-ups for years to come!
- Bobby pins and hair ties. There are going to be lots of girls. Someone is going to need them, right?
- Sewing kit. A popped button or dropped hem is never good news. Having needle, thread and hem tape handy will save the day in a pinch.
- Mints, not gum. You don’t want to be captured on film chomping away like it’s nobody’s business, after all.
- Band-Aids. You’ll be wearing your bridal heels for hours. Even if you’ve made a pre-wedding effort to break them in, you’ll almost certainly have a few blisters or sore spots as the night progresses.
- Nail polish. Be sure to pack a bottle of your wedding-day nail color. Your bridesmaids should do the same. Chipped nails are a definite no-no in those detail shots your photographer is going to take!
- Lipstick & lip liner. You’ll be kissing your freshly minted spouse all night. Make sure your lip color is locked in or refreshed for photos.
- Blotting papers. A quick press to absorb any oil or sweat that may have snuck out to your skin’s surface, followed by sweep of translucent powder, will have you looking fresh and shine-free, in person, and in pix!
Wondering how Houston brides manage to look so freakin’ fabulous on this here blog, in the pages of Weddings in Houston, and IRL? How ’bout we let a handful of leading Houston bridal beauty professionals explain what it takes to get from fine-for-everyday to…OMG, yassss. Take it away, ladies!
Photo: Courtesy of Your Fab Fairy
1. Get serious about your skin.
“Great skin is the foundation for a glowing and radiant bride,” says talented beauty expert Margaret Fahnbulleh of Your Fab Fairy (the wedding-services offshoot of Fab The Salon). “A great place to start is by partnering with a dermatologist who can help you identify the right products and skincare regimen that are best for your skin type.”
Meanwhile, traveling makeup artist Andrea Benson of Makeup by Andrea, recommends: “Get monthly facials in the months leading up to your wedding,” while Cheryl Sorrels, owner of KAX Salon, which prides itself on a total VIP experience for brides, bridesmaids, and everyone who seeks out its skin, hair and makeup services, admonishes: “No face picking! If you get a pimple, compress with a very warm towel for five minutes every hour until the pimple has shrunk.” Bam!
2. Banish unwanted hair with care.
While a bit of fuzz may be fine for everyday, professional wedding makeup is best applied to a smooth canvas. But don’t wait until the last minute to depilate. “Make sure you have done all hair removal 10 days before your wedding date,” cautions beauty expert and lash wiz Donyale Jones of Donyale MUA. “We don’t want any peach fuzz on that upper lip to show!”
Sorrels of KAX Salon agrees that it’s crucial to give yourself a good window of time before your wedding to get eyebrows, upper lip and other facial areas in shape. “Do NOT thread or wax the day before the wedding,” but DO make hair removal part of your bridal beauty regimen. “This way your makeup will go on smooth and even,” she explains.
3. Tackle major “issues” well in advance of your wedding.
Even the most confident among us have things we’d like to change about our bodies—especially when we know we’re going to be in the spotlight.
If you’ve been as devoted to your workout routine as you are to your future spouse, but still can’t manage to achieve the sleekness you seek, Wendy Gentile has the solution. The spa manager for Radiance Advanced Skin & Body Care in The Woodlands advises: “CoolSculpt away unwanted fat four months before the big day for your best wedding-dress look.” The fat-freezing process involves no knife, no suction hoses, no needles…not even a laser, and you’ll be back at work (or play) right after your treatment.
Worried about wedding-day waterworks…and not the tear-duct kind? “Schedule your MiraDry treatment for one month before your wedding. It eliminates the sweat glands under your arms for a clean, perspiration-free result,” Gentile says. “Raise a wedding-toast glass with confidence!”
Photo: Courtesy of Donyale MUA
4. Be extra kind to your eyes.
As a bride, you’re going to want big, beautiful, dramatic, expressive eyes in person and in photos. Which means professional makeup, designed to emphasize and enhance this most beautiful feature of every bridal face. Which can be tricky if those peepers of yours are not in tip-top shape.
“Dehyrated and puffy eyes can be challenging for a makeup artist,” Sorrels says. “Invest in a good eye cream and apply it every night. Then apply a cold towel compress in the morning.” Cutting back on salt and alcohol can help, too. And getting plenty of sleep is absolutely key!
Plus, Jones adds: “Drink a lot of water during the entire month before your wedding. This will have your skin”—including the delicate skin around your eyes—“at its very best.”
Photo: Courtesy of Radiance Advanced Skin & Body Care
5. Be good to yourself, and it will show.
“Planning a wedding is one of the most exciting times in a woman’s life. She is making all these fabulous plans for her big day,” Your Fab Fairy’s Fahnbulleh says. “But it can also be very stressful.” As a bridal beauty expert, she sees herself as not just an applier of makeup, but a counselor and guide to her bridal clients, helping them to achieve radiance on the biggest day of their life. And this is her advice: “Bride-to-be, do not neglect your self-care during your wedding planning journey. It is so easy to get stressed and overwhelmed during the planning phase. Sometimes you have appointments all day. However, you cannot put your best face forward on your big day if you haven’t slept well in months and you are dehydrated. Great self-care months before the wedding will definitely create that effortless and classic glow from the inside out that every bride wants!”
We couldn’t agree more.
Find out more about these and other top Houston bridal beauty, fitness and health experts here. And get ready for your close-up, darling. xo
Ah, summer. The sun is shining brighter, and it makes us want to play…with makeup! Channel your inner sun goddess with these five makeup essentials that’ll make you glow through pre-wedding festivities all summer long, while you save your bridal skin from the harming effects of the, you know, actual sun.
1. If there’s anything we want to do this summer, it’s look like always-aglow beauty queen Chrissy Teigen. Now all of us can get our Chrissy glow on with the Becca X Chrissy Teigen ‘Glow Face Palette’! This pretty palette includes a shimmering highlighter in two shades (Rose Gold & Beach Nectar), a near-perfect bronzer and a creamy blush. This handy little compact is our go-to palette for the season!
2. Get ready to pucker up to summer with ‘Love At First Bite‘—one of MAC’s newest lipstick colors for summer. It’s the prettiest shade of fuchsia, and looks great on every skin tone, poolside, beachside and beside your boo at barbecues, cocktail soirees and more pre-wedding celebrations!
3. Get a sultry, smokey eye with Clarins’ Sunkissed Summer Eyeshadow Palette for those hot summer nights in Houston. Feel free to mix it up and combine all of the shades—it won’t crease and lasts super long.
4. Looking for a highly pigmented nude lip color that’s semi-matte AND doesn’t dry out your chap-prone summer lips? Try out NARS Velvet Lip Glide in ‘Unlaced’—trust us, you’ll love the way it looks against sunkissed skin.
5. If you’re traveling this summer and want to look like you’ve been on the beach for days, Tarte’s Limited Edition ‘Girl Just Wanna Have Sun’ Sun Bronze & Sun Set is going to be your best-kept secret. It comes with a travel size self-tanning lotion, self-tanning face towelette, bronzer and contour for your bod and a waterproof bronzer that’ll give you a sun-kissed glow all day long.
6. Don’t forget to add a pop of color to the apples of your cheeks with Clinique + Jonathan Adler’s Cheek Pop, available in pretty shades of plum and peach. Did we mention how much we love the packaging? It’s also the perfect size for summer travel or to stick in your clutch on a hot night out! Happy shopping, loves…