NACE (National Association of Catering and Events) is THE national organization for event professionals. And this week, the Houston chapter of NACE handed out its prestigious annual awards for achievement in event design and production at a gala presentation at the JW Marriott Houston Downtown. We’re thrilled to announce that the list of winners includes a LOT of Weddings in Houston partners, whose talents are responsible for the gorgeous weddings we feature daily here on the blog and in the pages of Weddings in Houston magazine. We’d like to take a moment to congratulate our NACE Houston 2018 winners on their awesome honors. Thank YOU, NACE members, for bringing so much joy and beauty to Houston weddings!!
- Floral Design of the Year
- Wedding of the Year $50,000 – $100,000
- Event Production of the Year < $50,000
- Event Production of the Year > $100,000
- Entertainment Production of the Year
- Wedding of the Year < $50,000 (with House of Hough)
- Event Design & Decor of the Year < $50,000 (with Johanna Terry Events, Bradley David Entertainment, GTX Productions, En Vogue Events)
- Catered Event of the Year (with Melange Catering, J&D Entertainment, Houston Museum of Natural Science)
- Wedding of the Year > $100,000 (with Johanna Terry Events, Carlton Woods)
- Wedding of the Year > $100,000 (with Events By Sarah)
Gina Gutierrez, Cakes by Gina
- Networker of the Year Award
Andy Hopper, Blooms Design Studio
- Industry Ally Award
Kerri Childress, Sandlewood Manor
- Above & Beyond Award
We are so proud of these top Houston wedding vendors and their awesome accomplishments! Visit their websites for information about what they do and how they can serve you, and find these fabulous Houston wedding vendors and more in the Weddings in Houston wedding vendor directory!
One of the absolute hottest acts on the Houston wedding music scene is also one of the hottest bands around, period.
If you’ve heard all the recent buzz about Emerald City Band, it’s with good reason: This incredible music outfit sizzles. No–it SCORCHES. With a client list that includes everyone from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, to the Super Bowl, to the White House (yes, THAT White House), this nationally renowned super group has rocked some of the highest-profile weddings in the country. And they wanna rock yours. Click here to read the rest of this post »
Listen up, you guys: If you’re not planning to have a wedding photo booth at your bash, we’ve got something that’s gonna change your mind. Oh Snap Selfie Photo Booth has an awesome selection of photo booth and photo sharing options for weddings and pre-wedding celebrations (bachelorette parties, engagement parties, rehearsal dinners…you get the picture ; ), that fit into any environment, from super-swanky to low-key and laid-back. We’re especially into their Boomerang GIF Booths and 3D Selfie Booths, both of which are “open air,” so everyone who wants to can check out your photo booth hijinks while they wait to make their own (slightly embarrassing, totally fun) memories. Wanna kick it up a notch? Click here to read the rest of this post »
Your wedding day is a celebration of the love and commitment of you and your future spouse usually spent with family and friends. Once you’ve exchanged vows, the party begins with food, drinks and music. However, when it comes to the entertainment, should you opt for an expert DJ or a professional wedding band? Both can be excellent choices, but there are pros and cons to both. Narrow down your choice for great entertainment for your guests with the following in mind.
Keep in mind:
Atmosphere – what type of music are you wanting to hear? what kind of delivery?
Budget – traditionally bands are more expensive, but DJs can be just as costly.
Space – how big is your venue? will it accommodate a full band?
Wedding bands provide you the dynamics of a live performance. It’s traditional and the band you choose can make a real difference in setting the tone for your reception. The party can come alive with a bandleader who’s able to vibe and interact with crowd choosing music accordingly.
- Pros: As with all live music, you’re getting a one of a kind experience. This can enhance the vibe of the party and hype you and your guests excitement as you follow every beat and note. Essentially you’ll be experiencing a concert just for you.
- Cons: Booking a band can be costly, and musical selections will be limited by the repertoire and style of the band. Wedding Bands may charge either a flat fee or per musician, per hour but most will negotiate.
Nowadays, DJs are artists in their own right, with expertise offering diverse mixes of musical styles guests of all ages can enjoy. Plus, the songs played will sound exactly as you remember them, encouraging sing-alongs and improvisation. You can also count on a DJ to take up less space with their equipment than a full on band would, leaving more room for bodies on the dance floor.
- Pros: No matter how many songs you must have played during the celebration, it likely won’t be a problem for your DJ to find each track. Generally, DJs are are more budget friendly to. A DJ with a charismatic stage presence and exceptional emcee skills can read the crowd and seamlessly keep the party going.
- Cons: However, a DJ with a poor personality can really put a damper on the party. Also, if your DJ is not quick on their feet, improvisation can be tough. For instance, if your for first dance doesn’t go as plan or if an impromptu announcement is needed.
Made your choice? Whether a band or a DJ is what your looking for, take care of your entertainment needs with these top vendors.